Chicken biryani is an aromatic, mouth-watering and authentic Indian dish with succulent chicken in layers of fluffy rice and fragrant spices. This chicken recipe is easier than most recipes but retains the authentic. It is the best authentic biryani, cooked on dum with aromatic basmati rice, fragrant Indian spices, and saffron. It is also one of the most serve dishes for any event or function in India because of its rich flavours.
Course main dish
Cook time 1 hour
Servings 3-4 people
Now jump into the recipe :
- 500 grams chicken cut into uniform size pieces
- 3 cups basmati rice
- 4 large Potatoes
- 1 cup curd
- 1 tsp turmeric powder
- 2 onions large, finely chopped
- 1 inch ginger
- 8 pods Garlic
- 5 green chillies
- 3 black cardamom
- 1 bay leaves
- 2 Green cardamom
- 2 inch cinnamon stick
- 5 cloves
- 8-10 peppercorns
- 1 tbsp Kewra water optional
- Salt to taste
- 4 tbsp ghee
- Marinate the chicken pieces with curd, red chilli powder, turmeric and salt.
- Partially cook the rice along with black cardamom and bay leaves. The rice needs to be around 50% done
- Drain away the water and set aside the rice for later use.
- Dry roast the rest of whole spices namely, peppercorns, cloves, green cardamom and cinnamon for 30 seconds or till fragrant. Let it cool and then grind it into a fine powder.
- Heat 2 tbsp of ghee in deep & heavy bottomed pan. Add chopped onions and saute till soft and lightly browned.
- While the onion is sauteing, mash the ginger, garlic and green chillies together using a mortar & pestle
- Add the ginger-garlic-chilli paste to the onions once they are lightly browned. Saute for 2-3 minutes. Add 2 tsp of ground spices and sauté further for one minute.
- Add the marinated chicken to the above and mix well till the chicken is covered with spices. Cover and cook for 10-12 minutes on low flame. Add little water if required.
- While the chicken is cooking, chop the potatoes in four pieces and fry them till crisp and cooked.
- Now take a big metal or mud pot and grease it with ghee. Spread one layer of rice and top it with a layer of chicken gravy and 2 potatoes. Repeat this three times ending with a layer of rice. Heat the rest of the ghee and pour it on the top layer.
- Seal the mouth of the pot with wheat flour dough to tighten the lid and place a heavy weight on top of it. Cook this on low heat for 10 to 15 minutes and let it stand for another 30 minutes before opening.
- Serve hot with raita and green chutney.